Saturday, January 14, 2012

I'm inclined to "SEW NEW FASHIONS"

in 2012.  Here is my first attempt at sewing my own fashions in years.  I've started with a skirt.  The fabric was one yard and was set aside, because I could not think of what I wanted to use it for.  It was on its way to the Salvation Army when I had this bright idea about making a skirt.  Once the idea was in my head I proceeded to get anxious to make the skirt, when lo and behold the fabric is not wide enough for the one yard pattern I was going to use.  So, back to the drawing board.  I was determined to make a skirt from this some how.  I used the front of a skirt for the back and front.  There was to be only side seams, so I opened the back, serged the seam and folded it back to create a back vent (split) so I could move in it. The fabric is a type of light gabardine with lycra.  Thank God for lycra or there would be no way I could fit this _____ into it.  I folded down about an ample inch, serged the raw edges and pressed in a casing for the elastic.  Oh,yeah I even managed to sew two darts in the front and two in the back which gives it a flare where the waist cinches in.  While browsing http://www.style.com/ and the Banana Republic fashions there was a very close likeness of my skirt.  Wow.  Here I am , in my new look.  All I need is a new sweater set that is navy and white since the one I'm wearing is black and white which in the photo you'd think the skirt was  black and white,  but is a very dark navy.
I had to crop part of the top of my head because "Honey Luv" didn't notice the two hinges that sat right at the top of my head, and I was looking as though I had horns.  I know sometimes I tell him my horns are out, so he may have thought it cute.  However, I cropped them out with part of the top of my head.
Well, I'm about to start on my second look for this year.  Happy Sewing.

9 comments:

  1. you are bold to venture where i wouldn't tread! and your boldness paid off...you look fabulous in the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I don't know what has gotten into me at this time in my life. I thought I'd never be interested in sewing clothes again, but I'm very motivated to sew them again.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Carol. Cool skirt--looks great! Good way to start the new year. I really liked your wallhanging with the news of the quilter's husband--very funny! Sounds familiar.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute skirt! Love how you made the fabric work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. Coming from you this is a real compliment. Seeing all the beautiful clothes you make I elated from your comment.

      Delete
  4. Nice save. Skirt is looking good. Hope it provides you many wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Karima, I wear all of my clothes many many times. My husband said to me one day " I'm going to buy you a new skirt". I laughed and told him that I had a closet half full of skirts and that I just liked wearing the one I wearing most of the time.

    ReplyDelete