Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Been working since November

on my new garden for my front yard.  The gophers has reeked havoc in my yard, so I decided to put in a drought tolerent garden with stones and boxes for the plants.  Things are a little crowded since I have been planting since November ,so I'll do a little rearranging and thinning out some plants today.  It is by no means complete.  Each stone weights 39 pounds and I'm surrounding the empty spaces that will be left open with Calico Stones.  I drew up my design and built and painted all of the boxes myself.  Yesterday I received a coupon on line from Home Depot to buy one plant and get one plant free.  Now, that's my kind of shopping, so I got two cactus for the price of one. The picture shows where I am at this time.  I will post a picture of the finished garden, hopefully before the summer arrives .  Then I'll be able to sit back and watch the fruits of my labor.  And keep in mind this garden will be maintenance free once all of the plants settle in.  I must put in a few hours today adding my new cacti and stones, then back to my studio for some sewing.

6 comments:

  1. I don't have a green thumb at ALL!!! even my Cactuses die! So what you're doing here is very impressive to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you're so loving and caring you probably kill them with kindness. They do not need much attention, and that why I decided to use them.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Carol. Cool garden--nothing like cacti for low maintenance. Now all you need are a few mosaic plant containers! I'm quite envious, though. The weather has been so blustery here that I can't work in my garden, cabin fever is setting in!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may even do a mosaic piece sometime in the future. I just love the pieces you have. I do have a path with some old broken dishes set in it.

      Delete
  3. Carol this is lovely, I love working in my garden, You have so many lovely plants in yours, its a pity we don't live near each other, I would love to do a plant swap, I have just brought a Jasmine plant that is green all year round and has lovely sweet smelling flowers in the summer and pretty much takes care of itself!. Can't wait to see your finished photos, it will be a great inspiration for the creative work! Stay blessed, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on this garden a little at a time and buying only a few plants at a time. Cactus can be very expensive. I would love to swap plants.

      Delete