Saturday, August 15, 2009

Miriam Praises God

Here's another finished UFO. Let me introduce you to "Miriam", another one of my interpretations of the women of the Bible. The same story that went with the previous "Miriam" goes with this quilt. I used a "fussy cut " from this wonderful fabric I found . It's an allover of these beautiful black women. I quilted it, added the tambourine, beads at the top and hand quilted in very fine echo stitching all aroung the motif. What fun I had and the hand sewing is very therapeutic. To read what is written on either side at the bottom of the quilt in the orange area go to Exodus 2:3-9 , Micah 6:4, and Exodus 15:21.
I'm going back through my new issue of "Quilting Arts Magazine" the June/July issue and there is this wonderful article titled "Quilt then Paint" by Sue Kelly. Her quilts are very beautiful and she uses the same technique I did for the last "Miriam" quilt. She uses "Shiva Paintsticks" instead of liquid fabric paints. The paintsticks are very beautiful on fabric . You can buy them in irredescent or matte finish. They are a must have for art quilts. Well, I guess I should be about the chores of the day and maybe work on another "UFO".
HAPPY QUILTING!

5 comments:

  1. I love the quilting on your sofa. Is it pieced together and then put on the sofa??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, believe it or not the pieces are actually glued on with fabric glue one at a time. The cushions have custom made covers that can be removed and cleaned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may think this strange, I am not a quilter "for real". But I do have my stash of fabrics. One winter I made a crazy quilt, just the topper, but I have never done anything with it. Thought about making it a wall hanging, never done that, it is stuck in a drawer. How large are your women of the Bible blocks? And where did you get the newspaper print fabric on the couch with the eye glasses, Love that? I do put fabric in altered books that I make also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice image...the woman, i can see made into a doll form...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your site by accident and am really appreciating your women of the Bible quilts. They are beautiful - so full of color and joy. Hope you do more!

    ReplyDelete